Wednesday 31 December 2008

Christmas time at our home...

Just a few photos (to try and vamp up my 2008 post count) of, what else, my kids. We had a lovely Christmas at home this year, albeit chaotic. We had both sets of families (bits of them) out for dinner on Christmas Eve and my parents and brother stayed over the next two nights. The day after Boxing Day we had a wonderful birthday party for Connor, who turns 2 tomorrow. Tonight we're staying in and having fondue after we put the kids to bed. Tomorrow, more birthday celebrations for Connor. We have a lunch play date at McDonald's and then Mom is making a turkey dinner, complete with ice cream cake. That satisfactorily ends the holiday season for us, so I think we'll spend the weekend dismantling the tree and packing up ornaments.

I've come to the conclusion that Christmas is a holiday best enjoyed by the young. This year I think I spent most of the time in food preparation, food cleaning, or taming tantrums. I didn't put my feet up, didn't play a game of cards, didn't even have an afternoon snooze on the couch. Not that I ever have (snoozed that is). It was a little bit nuts! I think that as the kids get older, their ability to deal with the busyness will get better and life will get easier. I can't say that I'm sad that it's over for the year... I'm getting tired of constantly telling the boys to "Leave the tree alone!" and I know that I will discover at least a couple of ornament casualties again this year.

I hope everyone who still follows this blog after my two years of sporadic posts, enjoyed the holidays and is looking forward to the New Year and all that it brings! (The New Year is kind of an odd, bittersweet sentiment to me. I always felt that the New Year started in September, back when life revolved around the school calendar. Starting fresh in the midst of winter and darkness never did seem quite right.)

But I guess that's for another post...


Alex posing oh-so cooperatively in his new sweater from Grandma and Grandpa Freeman.

Connor, a little more cooperative, but just as unenthusiastically!

Kirstin, showing off her new pj's and present eating prowess!

This is a photo of my boys not cooperating for the camera. It was supposed to be a head on shot of them in front of the tree in their new pj's - with their sister who never made it into the photo. Unbeknownst to them, it's adorable and I couldn't have asked for a better pose!

My little viking in his new hat and t-shirt.

Wow... can you say "stuffed". The stockings are Cory's thing. He loves to cram as much as possible into them. It gets a bit crazy. I did his, and didn't do too bad a job if I do say so myself. Mom and Dad and Nathan brought theirs out too, so Santa certainly had his hands full at our place Christmas Eve!

Connor posing at his birthday party (and saying "no pictures, Mama!") We had a sleigh ride, followed by a hot dog roast and sledding. It was fabulous!

A packed sleigh!
Darn, it's sideways!! The first birthday cake I've ever made that turned out well... I baked, iced and decorated all by myself... well, okay, with a little (or a lot of) help from my parents. Otherwise it more likely would have resembled the pile of snow that the plow left behind, rather than a snowman. Thanks guys, it turned out great and inspires me to maybe make another one some birthday down the road.
"I'll huff and I'll puff... and eventually Daddy will help me blow out the candles!"
Merry Christmas and all the best in 2009, from the Freeman Family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had fun despite all the exhaustion and chaos. :) Ah they'll grow up and as the song says "you're going to miss this." *grin* Until the next time eh. LOL! I love that snowman cake, its great.