Saturday 6 March 2010

Is this normal?

Okay, just got back from grocery shopping. I need 10 mushrooms for a recipe. I assigned that task to my 5-year old. Easy, right? Alex, here's a bag, please put 10 mushrooms in it. I get home and find that there are only 8 mushrooms in the bag. One is gigantic and 7 are normal size. Here's our dialogue:

Me - "Hey, Alex, you forgot two mushrooms!"

Alex - "No I didn't, you said 10"

Me - "But this is 8 mushrooms"

Alex - "I know."

Now I'm intrigued as to where we're going with this...

Alex - "I counted on you cutting the big one in 3"

... and my jaw dropped! Can't argue with that logic!

4 comments:

__ Eric Martin said...

It's the boardgames. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Sadly, that creative sort of thinking is what our school systems and our society kills. We train them, instead, to learn to think like good litle robots. That's why kids are so enjoyable, they haven't been adequately "programed" yet, so their thoughts and actions catch us off-guard, and that amuses us.

Laura said...

Hey Eric... take credit all you want, I prefer to think he gets his brains from me, and has nothing to do with what you put under the Christmas tree! ;)

Gorges, an interesting comment, thanks for the feedback. I'll agree, I do think my kids are a riot. I get a lot of joy out of them. And I hope that we are raising them in an open-minded, creative enough home environment so that when they go out the door to school, they're able to adopt a healthy balance between learning like robots, and being free-thinkers.

Anonymous said...

I love his thinking!!!!!!!