Friday 2 July 2010

Happy Canada Day!

Just some photos of our day yesterday! We went to the city to celebrate "Canada Day in the Park". It's been the same since I was a kid, hundreds (maybe thousands yesterday it was INSANE) of people perched on blankets and lawn chairs watching the dancers and singers at the bandshell, surrounded by an international food festival, craft booths, and wandering mascots.

And yet, going as a parent this time, and not a kid, was far less relaxing. In fact, by the time I'd done the hour drive home and tucked the kids into bed, I was exhausted. Mentally. It was so crowded at the park that I couldn't let my guard down for a second. I actually envied the people who had their kids on leashes rather than scoffing at their animalistic approach to child supervision. It didn't help that the day was punctuated by announcements of lost children looking for their parents, and parents desperately searching for their kids. I found myself thinking, "Hmm... maybe dressing my kids in white and red wasn't too smart..." I can imagine trying to describe a lost child to the police, "Oh yes, she's about 3 feet tall, in white pants and a red shirt, you can't miss her." What was I thinking? Everybody was 3 feet tall and wearing red.

Anyway, we survived it, took some great photos and had a good time. My Mom came along for the visit (or to help me keep track of the kids really, I'm not sure we did any visiting) and despite the chaos, the long lines, and the noise, it was a decent day. The temperature was perfect, the sun was out but not blazing, the clouds were hanging around but not dark and ominous, and there wasn't a drop of rain. It's good to be Canadian! :) Hanging out on the picnic blanket waiting for Alex and Grandma to return from the lunch lines. Alex, not wanting to miss out on the International fare, returned with hot dogs for his siblings. Umm... they must have gone to the American food booth, I guess?
Polynesian Dancing

Just a smattering of the people that showed up.


Meeting Safety Bear --- cool, stickers and coupons for free slurpees!

When my kids ran ahead to look at the river, I didn't realize that there was such a sharp drop off! We didn't spend much time looking at the river after that.


Patriotism... start 'em young. Maybe they'll take their own kids to the park in thirty years!

Latino Dancing. Hey, I went to school with her! That's Benita! Hey Benita, over here! Glad to see that not everyone that graduated from PGSS, class of '94, lives in Vancouver now :)

My kids and their fantastic table manners! "Hey, Grandma, you get to be the judge, which one of us is uglier?"

It was a tough choice... we had to award both boys the title a different times. Kirstin tried, but she missed the spirit of the game. Even when she tries to be ugly, I think she's adorable! :)




... and after supper we returned to a much emptier park to let the kids run off some steam (burn off the cotton candy I let them eat) untethered. A nice end to a nice day! :)

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

We went down too-and what a complete zoo! It was fun too...but def. tiring!