Monday 20 June 2011

I am so messed up!

Anyone want to analyze this for me?


Last night I had a dream. And as I was dreaming it, I knew that I had had it before. On more than one occasion. A recurring dream, only, not at all like the ones I had as a kid. Where I was running and running and never getting any closer to my elusive destination.


This one was more real.


I was taking a University course. Last night was Art History. Sometimes it's just old regular history, but I have been at this Art History one before. I knew, sitting in the class, that I was desparately behind. Everyone else was handing in an assignment that I hadn't completed. I didn't even know about it. I actually hadn't attended the class in weeks. The instructor was talking about the upcoming exam and I was staring hopelessly at the pile of textbooks in my lap, knowing I should try to read through them before the exam. I was also sorting through a myriad of excuses in my head to explain why I had missed so many classes. And, I was wondering, when my next class was. I couldn't even remember my class schedule. I think I have two classes on Monday (yup, it was a Monday) but wasn't sure when and where the next one was. I was also desperately trying to sort out whether or not I should ask the prof to let me hand in all the assignments late.


For some reason, I think that my degree hinges on the completion of this Art History course (and that other one that I can't remember to go to).


And then I woke up. And was, once again, relieved to recall that I am NOT a student of anything at this time in my life... I am NOT skipping classes... I am NOT weeks behind in homework and reading... and I do NOT have a final exam next week that I am NOT prepared for. Whew. I got my degree 12 years ago.


What is up with that?


And why on earth would I suffer myself through an Art History class?

2 comments:

Mary said...

From Google:
To dream that you are in a classroom, indicates that you may be learning an important life lesson. Alternatively, it symbolizes personal growth. You are learning something about yourself.

To dream that you are looking for a classroom, suggests that you need to expand your knowledge and learning.

To dream that you are taking an exam, indicates that you are being put to the test or being scrutinized in some way. These dreams highlight some anxiety or agitation that you are experiencing in your waking life. In such dreams, you may find that you cannot answer any of the questions on the test, that the test is in some foreign language or that your pencil keeps breaking during the test. Perhaps time is running out and you cannot complete the exam in the allowed time. Or perhaps, you arrive late and miss the exam. These factors contribute to failing the dream test. These dreams usually have to do with your self-esteem and confidence or the lack of. You tend to believe in the worst about yourself and are often overly worried that you are not making the grade and measuring up to other people's expectations of you. You may also experience the fear of not being accepted, not being prepared, or not being good enough.

Test dreams also suggest that you are feeling unprepared for a challenge. Rarely, these dreams are about the actual content of the test, but rather it is more about the process and how you feel during the exam taking process. These feelings often parallel how you are actually feeling in a particular challenge or situation in your waking like.

Test dreams are also an indication that you are being judged. These dreams serve as a signal for you to examine an aspect of yourself that you may have been neglecting and need to pay more attention to. You may be harboring some guilt because you did not prepare enough for a school exam, meeting, business project, or some project. Most of the time, though, people who have such dreams are unlikely to fail a test in real life. This dream is rooted in the fear and anxiety that you may not meet other's standards. You are afraid to let others down.

Laura said...

Too crazy... or depressing! ;) Thanks for that, though. It's an interesting response!