Thursday 14 June 2018

Dosage reduction...

So yesterday was a bit interesting.  At the beginning of every cycle (I am currently on cycle 9 of 12!) I have to answer a bunch of questions about side effects and whether or not I'm struggling with them.  I've been handling the side effects really well.  Some have gotten more prevalent and some (like the hair loss and jaw pain) have almost disappeared, so overall, things are going ok.

But when she asked about neuropathy (the numbness I've been experiencing) I was honest and told my nurse that my fingers are pretty much numb all the time now and were still numb yesterday from the last treatment two weeks ago.  But I told her I could still do things like typing and sewing, it just felt a little funny, like they're asleep.  Then I told her that that numbness had also moved into my feet and sometimes it hurt to walk a little.

So she consulted with the other nurse and they phoned a couple of oncologists to consult, and they decided to reduce my oxapilaten dosage.  I had to go home for about an hour an a half while I waited for the pharmacy to remix my new dosage, so I didn't get home from the infusion until after the kids were home from school.

While I appreciate the lower toxicity going into my last four treatments, I'm having mixed feelings.  I do feel like I can handle the numbness as I have been so far, and I worry that lower dosages might be less effective.

I'm sure it's all in my head... the nurses are the experts, not me.

Anyway, 9 almost down (get unhooked tomorrow), three to go.  Then we will see what my upcoming scan shows.

And... shoutout to my cousin, Joy, who has been dealing with the after effects of her kidney cancer for the last several years and had emergency surgery for a brain tumour that her oncologist discovered in January.  She's been going through radiation and chemo pills and has been officially given the "No evidence of disease" diagnosis.  So, YAY JOY! 

Wait for me, Joy, I'll be joining your survivor's club, soon!  Feeling optimistic these days.

Laura

No comments: