Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy New Year

This year, I resolve to bake more.  

No, wait, that's not right... I hate baking!  I resolve to NOT bake more.  Why put the local bakery out of business.  

Or the local Grandmas...  They like baking cakes for my children.  I'm doing them a favour by constantly asking them to do so!  :)

Having said that, here's Connor's birthday cake.  

Step 1: Using a cake mix (hey, I'm not Martha Stewart, give me a break...), bake the cake in a pan that's apparently too small.  Allow it to leak all over the oven so that you are multi-tasking and baking a second cake at the same time.

Step 2:  After shutting off the smoke alarm and allowing the cake to cool until after the children go to bed, using green food colouring, liberally slather a container of icing all over the cake.  Use the flat edge of a table knife to smooth it.  Try smoothing in flat in the opposite direction.  Give up on smoothing it flat.  Disguise it with sprinkles and in your best icing handwriting, draw a number so that there's no question that a 6 year old iced the cake...
 Step 3:  Give up!  Raid your children's board game stash and cover the ugly bits with the board game pieces.  And yes, Eric, I did humiliate this poor board game in such a disrespectful manner.

Step 4: Remember that it's the six-year old that has to like the cake... NOT the adults.  And he did.  Especially the part where we allowed him to shoot the bird at the cake after the candles were blown out!
 Happy Birthday to my crazy little New Year's Baby!


 Connor opening some of his gifts.

 Kirstin and Brooklynn decked out in their coordinating party dresses!
 How we spent the afternoon... playing board games and eating.  What a great way to ring in 2013!

Happy New Year to you, my few faithful readers, and a very Happy Birthday to my six-year old!  My best New Year's Eve gift, ever.

3 comments:

rawillson said...

Happy New Year to you and your family and of course a HUGE Happy Birthday to Connor! As you said, the only person that needs to like the cake is Connor! And by the pictures ~ it looks like it was a hit!!

Anita said...

Great pictures! Don't feel bad - every one of us has had a cake disaster (or frozen bread loaves that could be used to pave the driveway once baked).

Did Connor fall asleep on the couch in the pic where he is holding his board game?

I need your help on Scrapbooking Beats Housework. Suddenly my link to upload from my computer has disappeared! I can upload from Picasa, the web, the other blogs...WTF?

Bev M said...

So perfect, hey he loved it and at the end, that's all that mattered. I loved how you saved the cake with board pieces. Looks like you all had a wonderful New Years.