Thursday 26 April 2018

Conversation with my youngest...

So, this isn't a conversation I expected to have with my five-year-old last night, but she was very serious and not upset or overly anxious. Just curious.  I'm thinking I'm not going to read more into it than I really need to.

Brooklynn:  "Who's going to take care of us if you die?"

Me:  "I'm not going to die!"

Brooklynn:  "Yeah, but if you do, who's going to take care of us?"

Me:  "Well, your Daddy will."

Brooklynn:  "Okay, but who's going to take care of me if Daddy dies?"

Me:  "I will."

Brooklynn:  "What if you both die?"

Me:  "We're not going to both die at the same time!"

Brooklynn:  "You will when you're a hundred!"

Me:  "Okay, fair enough.  But you'll be sixty-four, then.  You will definitely be able to take care of yourself."

Brooklynn:  "No, I won't.  Who will take care of me when you die?"

Me:  "Well, if Daddy and I both die, Uncle Eric and Uncle Vince will become your parents."

Brooklynn:  "WHAT!!!  But they're both boys!  I need a Mommy!"

And then she wandered away, neither perplexed nor upset, just having vocalized her opinion.  Leaving Cory and I to wonder if we're still going to have a 65 year old Brooklynn climbing into our bed in the middle of the night when we're 100 and on death's door.

And leaving me to wonder if I actually ever let Uncle Vincent know that we have a will and it stipulates that my youngest brother is to be appointed guardian of our children.  Did I ever mention that to him? That when he married my brother he was signing on to guardianship of four kids should Cory and I perish in some crazy accident when we turn 100.  Might want to revisit the old will.   Just in case!  Because that's a pretty long-term committment!

No comments: