Friday 15 December 2006

Belly of the week...


Well, here's my 37 week photo. Mom thinks I've "dropped". I sure hope so. The baby is definitely head down, so that's a good sign... and I think I'm breathing a little better these days, so it's quite possible he has dropped. I really can't tell, though, because my stomach is just so darn huge!
37 weeks is a milestone we hit on Monday. It's when the baby is considered "full-term" which is great. Pregnancy is calculated as 40 weeks, but at 37 the typical baby can safely live outside of the body with fully developed lungs. It's safe for him to be born at any time and he would not be considered premature! Yay!
The last three weeks of the pregnancy (37-40) is when the baby spends a lot of time developing fat to keep him warm after birth. Basically, just growing bigger. 40 to 42 weeks is also considered full-term, but on the longish side... after 42 weeks the baby is considered post-term and can experience complications as a result of that. So, I'm glad we made it this far. But now the waiting game begins. He could be coming any day or he could still be a month off (Alex came at 41 weeks 3 days).

No comments: