Thursday 30 December 2010

Day 10

On the tenth day of Christmas Break, I called up some old 'mates...

... and forced my children to suffer through two (wonderful) playdates!

What can I say? Today was all about MY NEEDS! Yay! In fairness, my kids were wonderful and they all had so much fun that they want to "play with those kids again" very soon. Phew! Today I called my girlfriend, Jenn, who I haven't seen in 3.5 years. She's just recently moved back to the city we both grew up in and so we arranged for a long overdue visit. Her children are 10 and 8 and I was worried that they'd find my younger ones annoying. But they were lovely children. Not at all recognizable as the preschoolers that I remember. They played very well with my kids and were very sweet. We met at a sled hill and then after everyone was suitably frozen, took our playdate to McDonald's and let the five kids run wild in the playland.

My two boys and Jenn's --- and someone's else's just for fun. Not a great photo, but the only one I managed with all three of them in it.Jenn's daughter taking mine under her wing. In my memory, they're about the same size. Now she's just a younger version of Jenn!

Connor's "road rash". Poor kid has terrible steering and accidently veered off the safe slope I sent him down on, and onto the one that older kids have fashioned a jump off of. He landed on the ice and scraped half of his face across the less than soft ice. That was his last solo run. After that he happily rode tandem with Kirstin and I on our runs.

After we said good-bye to Jenn and her not-so-little babies, we headed over to Tanya's house --- my old neighbour. After some initial shyness, the six children were playing together wonderfully. The last time we saw them was in August when they coincedentally camped at the same beach as us.
Five of the six... my kids were impressed with their extensive and "oh-so-cool" playmobile collection!

A fantastic dinner of chicken nuggest and sweet potato fries, courtesy of Tanya's husband. Mmm... such a treat!

And so, we got back home late, again, but tired and happy. The kids had a great time and can't wait to play with all the kids again. I reconnected with people I have not seen in far too long. Everyone benefitted from our impromptu trip into the city. I'm going to have to make more of ane effort to go to PG without a list of errands and shopping and relatives to visit, on occasion, because there's definitely something to be said for reconnecting with old girlfriends! :)




1 comment:

tanya said...

That was fun! My girls are still talking about it. Should we try and plan another "date" ?