Thursday 10 April 2014

#10 -Eight hours of sleep is for pansies

Why I Have Perma-Bags Under My Eyes

I was sound asleep when I heard her cry,
I picked her up, cuddled her to my chest,
Beside me in bed, I was too tired to try,
To put her back in the crib to finish her rest.

We both fell asleep, we both love bed-sharing,
Then,  “Mama” he screamed! I ran to the fright,
“It’s too dark, ” he said, tousled and glaring,
I grumbled and flooded the hallway with light.

My son who is scared of the dark is awake,
Now I have to sleep under floodlights, sigh!
I close my door,give my tired head a shake,
I have to block out the hallway light to get by.

Less than three hours ‘til dawn the clock taunts,
Exhaling slowly I slipped back to dreamland,
Then a familiar sound, my slumber it haunts,
A scritching and scratching relentlessly panned.

Effing cat can’t handle the door not ajar,
She has to get in to sleep on my head,
I threw a book at the door, really quite far,
It thumped and she scattered, yowling with dread.

Finally, I sighed and closed off my brain,
It didn't last long, she wanted my bed,
Just seconds later, she was scratching again,
In my sleep addled state, I swore, “That cat is dead!”

But, I’m a sucker, what can I say?
Little feet in my ribs and a cat on my chest,
Finally I doze fitfull 'til light of day,
The clock reminds me, two hours to rest.

My door opens a crack; in comes another,
“What?” I snarl, as I sit up slowly and glare,
He warily eyes his impatient mother,
A sight with her eye bags and tangle of hair.

“I had to get up now,” the little boy said, 
He exhales slowly, “Mama, I wet the bed.”

-Laura Freeman-
April 10, 2014

No comments: