Sunday 7 April 2013

# 7 - The Indigestible Truth

Okay, this poem deserves a little preface.  Or a brag.  Whatever you want to call it is fine with me.  Cory and I have been following the Weight Watchers Points Plus program since January 3rd. My Mom's been doing it longer. We've all been very successful on it and we've all recently met our first goal, "Lose10% of your body weight." (Ironically, Cory's and my combined ten percents is 100% of Alex!)  I am, in fact, now at my pre-pregnancy weight for ALL four of my pregnancies!  I'm pretty pleased with that.  I haven't been this size since 2003.  And 2003 was the year I lost 30 pounds of post-wedding fat in order to get pregnant, so I wasn't actually this size for very long back then.  And Cory is officially at his pre-pregnancies weight, too.  So I guess you could say we're both now starting to chip away at the weight we gained between when we got together and began"cooking" for ourselves and when we became a family of three.  A lot of take-out in our early years of marriage, if I recall correctly... 
So when it was suggested that we go to the J&S Restaurant for dinner last night (I won't say which one of us suggested it), knowing that there is absolutely nothing on that menu that we can easily calculate the points on, we decided we deserved it.  And we do.  So we went and we had a wonderful time with the kids and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Which was the inspiration for this morning's poem.

Three short months of working hard,
And the mind wants what it wants,
A reward for twenty lost pounds,
Dinner at the local restaurant.
Wholesome out the window,
We called it our cheat meal.
Laughter, games, desert,
A lovely family deal.
With the spirit of a teenager,
A cheeseburger, fries, and pie,
Now the body of an older woman,
Utters its punishing war cry.
In the wee hours of the morning,
My stomach rebelling from the score,
I come to the sobering conclusion,
I can't eat like that anymore.


- Laura Freeman -
April 7, 2013

6 comments:

Anita said...

Congratulations Laura! Love the poem!

Anonymous said...

I love your poems -- which reflect your journey.
(And your cat looks/acts just like mine!) :)

Laura said...

Why thank you, guys! That's really sweet! I'm having a lot of fun with this poem writing month. Wish I'd done it years ago, but it's never too late to start!

Aunty Anita, I must be slightly sleep deprived today, when I saw your "congratulations", I thought, "What? Congratulations for having middle of the night indigestion? What?" Duh!!! :)

__ Eric Martin said...

Way to go, Laura and Cory! Sounds like you guys are really making healthier choices. It's good to hear they're paying off.

Laura said...

Thanks Eric!

Bev said...

Congrats to both you and Cory on the 10% weight loss, that's TERRIFIC. The poem had me rolling in laughter because.......tonight I threw caution to the wind and ate fish'n'chips. So hopefully I won't be in agony in the morning. ;)