Monday 1 April 2013

April Creative Writing Challenge!

Okay, I don't know if I'm going to be able to stick with this or not.  I usually save all my creative energy for November and then I spend a month madly writing in all my spare moments and come out at the end with a half-finished novel that I never look at again.  Yup, that's my style!

Not the best way to get published.  But a good way to write and hone my typing skills, I suppose.

Anyway, at the encouragement of my friend who two Novembers ago, got on the NaNoWriMo bandwagon with me, I've signed up for April's smaller scale version, "Camp NaNoWriMo".  It's a 'set your own word count goal', kind of a challenge.  There's also another challenge "NaPoWriMo", that I've never done, but my friend has.  NaNoWriMo has copy-cat off-shoot challenges all over the internet.  So, while my main love is November, I've decided to try a little spring time writing, too.

My goal is 15,000 words.  A third of the November requirement, a mere 500 a day (hmm... do blog posts count?).  And since it doesn't have to be a new novel (seriously, the camp rules are very, very lax), I'm going to use my 500 to write whatever the heck I want... but mainly to finish my 2010, 2012 novel, Undesireable.  By April 30th, I am going to have a completed rough draft.  There, I said it.  It's on the the internet, it MUST be true!!

Wish me luck!

On another note, here's my first creative writing burst of the day...



I have a friend named April,
at least that's what she's called online.
She wants to be a novelist,
Also a dream of mine.
I got her writing in Novembers,
My favourite month to sit and type.
She wrote a book, of novel length,
It lives up to its hype.
Now it's "April", two years on,
And its her turn to inspire me.
You see, her month to write is now,
It's a month of poetry.
They call it NaPoWriMo
A poem a day, not much, that's it.
It's not prose, it's hard to do,
I'm crazy to attempt it.
So here you go, my April pal, 
My first poem, it's pretty chic,
For our month of creative writing...
I'll probably fizzle out next week!

 - Laura Freeman -
April 1, 2013

1 comment:

Bev said...

All the best with the challenge. :)