Tuesday 2 April 2013

# 2 - "Dear Lily,"




You meow and meow, my indoor cat.
You pace across the floor.
The birds outside, they beckon you,
You crouch beside the door.
The kids come home, and you slip out,
I swoop and bring you in,
You cry at me,
So pitifully,
Imprisoned once again.
You sit at our front window,
Scowling at the chirping prey.
I remind you that, last time you roamed,
You ended up
At the SPCA.
So you'll stay inside, we'll keep you safe,
You'll probably resent us.
But Lily, dear, you had your chance,
Before you even met us.
I wouldn't let my cats run loose,
With all the hazards that await.
Please understand, the indoor life,
For a cat, it can be great! 
You perch upon my counter,
When I sleep, you walk across my hair.

You trip me in the hallway,

You steal my warm spot on the chair,

You sleep all day, you play all night,
You go randomly berserk,
You can be the biggest sweetheart,
Or act like a selfish jerk. 
You are waited on, both hand and foot,
Food at your beck and call,
You sleep right on our pillows,
Leave hairballs in the hall.
So when we tell you, "Stay inside,"
I really wish you could,
Understand that we're not being cruel,
It is for your own good.

- Laura Freeman -
April 2, 2013


No comments: