Wednesday 17 April 2013

Bonus Poem

So, I actually wrote two poems yesterday.  The one I posted, and then later, this one.  I really wanted to try my hand at a "Rondeau" (In Flander's Field being a very famous example) but I couldn't get the rhyme scheme to fit with my "Fight Back" thoughts and as I started writing that poem it didn't feel right to restrict it to a format.  I'm glad I didn't, because I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

So here's the Rondeau I wrote later... it's really silly... probably won't attempt that poem form again soon as it's quite restrictive.  I was tempted to save it and use it to take a day off, but I've already started writing today's poem, so I'm posting it as a bonus instead.  No days off for me, I'm having too much fun with this!

From poets.org (which by the way is where I've been looking up poem forms in case you were wondering) a rondeau is as follows:

     "The rondeau’s form is not difficult to recognize: as it is known and practiced today,
     it is composed of fifteen lines, eight to ten syllables each, divided stanzaically into a
     quintet, a quatrain, and a sestet. The rentrement consists of the first few words or the
     entire first line of the first stanza, and it recurs as the last line of both the second and
     third stanzas. Two rhymes guide the music of the rondeau, whose rhyme scheme is
     as follows (R representing the refrain): aabba aabR aabbaR."

#16 B – Family
 
This is what makes us a family,
When first you pledged your love to me,
Two sons came first, a family of four,
Then our girls, we added two more,
And now we're six, gendered equally.

A smaller branch of a larger tree,
Our parents still living in P.G.,
Siblings we wish we could see more,
This is what makes us a family.

A nephew and niece in Southern B.C.
Another expected in Calgary,
Reunions chaotic, more so than before,
A sister next summer, the wedding in store,
Sisters and brothers, friends are we,
This is what makes us a family.

- Laura Freeman -
April 16, 2013

1 comment:

Bev said...

Fun poem about family. :)

I will take your word on what the poem type is. I still do not understand the words, and too lazy to look them up. ;P